Overclocking Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 ( model P5100 )

Having an old Android Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 by my side decided that it is time to tweak it and get some better performance from this old brick.

By googling first thing i found that can update it to Cyanogenmod. Latest build for this was CM11 which is Android 4.4 KitKat. Will not go into details here haow to do an install, will say that You can find very detailed instruction at here and Yes, it works perfectly on Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 with no noticeable flaws.

(On one of the installations of nighly build, after installataion and on last step Setup Wizard crashed with Method Not Found exception and then it was stuck. Found that You can bypass setup wizard by pressing (tapping) on each corner of tablet from upper left, then upper right, lower right and finally lower left. When I bypassed setup wizard everything else worked ok.)

One thing I was expecting is to be able to increase cpu speed after this update. But to my regret I found that in Performance settings of this KitKat Maximum CPU Frequency is set strictly to 1008Mhz and cannot be increased.

So, once again went to google and found that to be able to increase Maximum CPU speed I have to install appropriately prepared ROM that allows that.

Google showed that there is Dhollmen ROM for Galaxy Tab 2. So again, by following these instructions I was able to install Dhollmen and in its setting it allows to change maximum CPU frequency even up to 1460 Mhz. By default it sets to 1216 Mhz.

Did a PC mark for Android test ( work performance ) and it resulted with score of 2831 ( average score for this device is 2230 ).

And now, from the series of last famous words – lets set everything to maximum CPU frequency and see how it works!…

User went offline…

Just kidding. But not really – off course test didint passed as as tabled hanged during copy paste test and I had to to hard reset. Luckily this frequance setting does not save ( if you not set it to ) and after restart it was back again to safe 1216Mhz.

Then tried test with 1360 Mhz. Same, it crashed again.

So it seam that 1216 Mhz is safest overclock value for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5100).

Did You tried that ? Were You able to get better performance ? Let me know in a comments!

PowerBuilder – Find windows where datawindow is used

If You have a listo of datawindows and would like to make a list of windows where each of these datawindows are used, this Power-Shell function might help.

By tweaking it You could search for whatewher You need, but basic concept is below.

[Console]::OutputEncoding = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF8

$windowTitles = "windowsTitles.txt"

New-Item $windowTitles -type file -force

function search ([string]$fullName) {

$shortName =  [io.path]::GetFileNameWithoutExtension($fullName)

$files = gci -include *.srw,*.sru,*.srd -recurse | select-string $shortName | group path | select name

$found = 0

if ($files.Count -eq 0) { return 0 }

foreach ($file in $files)


$shortName2 =  [io.path]::GetFileNameWithoutExtension($file.Name) if ($shortName -eq $shortName2) { continue }

$found = $found + 1

Write-Host "Used in: " $shortName2

If ($file.Name.EndsWith(".srw")) {

Write-Host "Used in: " $shortName2 " and its a WINDOW!"

$titleString =  Get-Content $file.Name | select-string -pattern "string title = "

if (-not $titleString) {

Write-Host "Window has no title"

Return 1


Write-Host "Windows title is:" $titleString

$title = $titleString.line.replace("string title = ","")

# write title to file

Add-Content -Encoding UTF8 $windowTitles $title

Return 1

} Else {

Return search($file.Name)



Return $found

Use it something like this ( is same PS1 file for example ) :

$files = gci -include *.srd -recurse | Where-Object {$_.FullName -like "*\$folder\*"} | select-string '!!!!ADD YOUR REGEX HERE!!!' | group path | select name
Write-Host "Found number of datawindows:"
Write-Host $files.Count
$index = 0
foreach ($file in $files)
if (-Not $file.Name) {break}
$dwShortName =  [io.path]::GetFileNameWithoutExtension($file.Name)
Write-Host "Searching for: " $dwShortName
$found = search($file.Name)

Removing BOM characters from UTF8 file using Power-Shell (converting UTF8 with BOM to UTF8 without BOM)

When creating UTF8 encoded files using Power-Shell, for example:

$orcFile = "testFile.txt"

Add-Content -Encoding UTF8 $orcFile "bla bla bla"

they are created with BOM (byte order mark) and if there is a need of a just plain UTF8 – we have a problem.

The byte order mark (BOM) is a Unicode character, U+FEFF BYTE ORDER MARK (BOM), whose appearance as a magic number at the start of a text stream can signal several things to a program consuming the text:

  • What byte order, or endianness, the text stream is stored in;
  • The fact that the text stream is Unicode, to a high level of confidence;
  • Which of several Unicode encodings that text stream is encoded as.

One of the solutions would be just removing BOM characters from the file itself:

#remove utf BOM  from file

$orcFile = "testFile.txt"

(Get-Content $orcFile) |

Foreach-Object {$_ -replace "\xEF\xBB\xBF", ""} |

Set-Content $orcFile